Date Released: 26 February 2016
SIPTU and Unite members employed in the Cadbury’s production plant in Coolock, Dublin 5, yesterday (Thursday, 25th February) served the management of Mondelez Ireland with notice of their intention to implement a work stoppage of indefinite duration starting on Thursday, 3rd March, at 7.00 a.m.
SIPTU Sector Organiser, John Dunne, said: “Union members voted overwhelmingly to take this action following an announcement by management that it intended to unilaterally implement a Labour Court recommendation and outsource the jobs of 17 directly employed store workers.
“The Labour Court recommendation had previously been rejected by a large majority of the 350 union members employed in the production plant. On Wednesday (24th February), SIPTU and UNITE members had proposed further talks on reducing costs and increasing flexibility in relation to the operation of the store facility at the plant. This proposal was rejected outright by management leaving the workers with no option but to take industrial action.”
SIPTU Manufacturing Division Organiser, Gerry McCormack, said: “The attempt to outsource these jobs, which are core to the operation of the plant, is seen as a further erosion of the viability of the facility. This attempt to outsource the store operation to another company follows the decision by the management of Mondelez International to move production of the ‘Time Out’ bar from Ireland to Poland.
“This further attempt to downgrade operations at the Coolock plant has provoked outrage among workers, many of whom have provided decades of loyal service to the company.”
He added: “Workers at the plant have over recent years agreed to major restructuring of operations and changes in work practices. However, the attempts by the management of Mondelez International to further downgrade the plant’s operations has increased fears among the workforce about its long-term commitment to the facility.”