Date Released: 14 September 2016
SIPTU members in Dublin Bus have condemned the lack of interest shown by the Department of Transport and management in trying to resolve the dispute at the company for forcing them to implement a further 48-hour work stoppage, beginning tomorrow (Thursday, 15th September) at 12.01 a.m.
SIPTU Transport, Energy, Aviation and Construction Division Organiser, Owen Reidy, said: “An industrial dispute is always eventually resolved through negotiation. The problem our members are facing in this dispute is that those they need to negotiate with would seem to have gone into hiding.
“In such a situation, I believe it completely fair to squarely place the responsibility for the inconvenience that the public will unfortunately endure tomorrow on those who are unwilling to even attempt to seek a negotiated end to this dispute.
“As always, SIPTU representatives are available at any time to enter into serious negotiations aimed at finding an agreed resolution. Unfortunately, as of now there is no one sitting at the other side of the table.”
SIPTU Organiser, John Murphy, said: “Our members have been humbled by the support they received from the general public during last week’s industrial action. There is a real understanding among public transport users that workers deserve fair pay and that there is a need for long term planning in relation to Dublin Bus funding.
“Unfortunately, once again Dublin Bus users are having to endure the withdrawal of bus services at 9.00 p.m. this evening (Wednesday, 14th September). It must be made clear this is not because of action by our members but is a decision of Dublin Bus management.”
He added: “Our members would also like to make clear their dismay at the possibility that strike action on Friday will impact on Culture Night. This is an unfortunate situation which they believe is due to Department of Transport and Dublin Bus management intransigence which has left them with no option but to implement this further 48-hour work stoppage.”